January 28, 2012

Meet Kristen Sunby Owner and Creator of Canfolk Dolls

Kristen Sunby, Creator of Canfolk Dolls
Kristen Sunby, creates her own "Variety of Spice" with her unique, handmade, vintage spice canfolk characters.
This is her story:
My name is Kristen Sunby, I grew up in a suburb of Chicago, and all through my childhood, I watched my mother Karn Bernabe, create all kinds of crafts. She could make anything! I was always amazed by her talent and so proud of all that she could do. She would help my sisters and I with projects in school and they always had that extra special touch of creativity added to them. My mother has always been my creative inspiration and mentor.  I continue to be amazed by her abilities and ideas to this day. She is actually the one who got me to start making my Canfolk dolls. She saw potential in the idea and thought that I could do it. She usually works with fabrics rather than clay and paint, she encouraged me to try and make dolls. After creating a few, they were well received and a new door filled with inspiration opened for me.
I attended the University of Illinois, Chicago and studied Teaching of English. I really enjoyed my literature classes and my student teaching experience. I was actually an English teacher in Chicago for 6-1/2 years before I had my daughter. I do miss teaching, but I also cherish having the opportunity to create at this point in my life.

I currently live in Round Lake Beach, Illinois, which is about 10 minutes from where I grew up. I do all of my creative work right here in my studio at home. My work is inspired by primitive folk-art. I feel like the creative gene was passed down to me from my parents, but I never envisioned myself creating work that would be considered "art."
After I made my sold my first Canfolk dolls at a craft show and received positive feedback. I realized that I had a knack for creating  this type of media. I enjoy working with paperclay. It is so forgiving and easy to work with.  In college, I took several art courses, but in making the Canfolk dolls I learned by experimenting and practicing different techniques on my own. So many different factors inspire my dolls. Sometimes, the design ideas come from the cans themselves. Like the pun of having a clock on the "Thyme" can, or having Abraham Lincoln on the can branded "Union Leader." Other times, the season influences the design and sometimes, I just think of characters I would like to see myself. I store all of my cans in the basement on shelves. When I need a new idea, I go down and stand in front of them and see if anything catches my eye.
Essential skills I have found in my work is that more than anything, I need patience when I work. If I rush any of the processes, the work definitely suffers. I usually work in the evenings after my 4 year-old daughter goes to bed.
I have my Canfolk dolls in several stores in the U.S. and also many albums displaying my work on my Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Canfolk-by-Kristen-Sunby/125661707521097 and on Etsy at http://www.etsy.com/people/Canfolk . I was recently published in the Winter 2012 issue of Prims magazine and I posted new designs on the Handmade Art Fair Blog at www.handmadefair.com
I have also sold my dolls in several craft shows in the southern Wisconsin/Northern IL.
If you want to contact me by email, you can reach me at canfolk@aol.com.

I have a few questions for Kristen.
Q: What is the most significant decision you ever made?

A: My decision to be a Christian will always be the the most significant decision in my life.

Q: Who is your favorite artist?

A: Frida Kahlo was captivating. She created beautiful work and seemed to have a confident fiestiness   about her. I am also smitten by the work of the ladies who created the Gee's Bend quilts.

Q: What makes you laugh the most?

A: My daughter Avery is the funniest person I know. She amazes me every day with her sense of humor.

Q: What are your favorite foods to eat?

A: Strawberries. I eat loads of them and keep the farmers in business!

Q: If you won a million dollars, what would you do with it?

A: I would definitely travel with my family. I have not had the opportunity to see much of the world and I would love to do so.

Q: What words of advice would you have for someone starting out?

A: That's hard for me to say, because I am just starting out myself! I would say that it is important to have confidence in yourself and your ideas. Try to connect with other artists whenever you can to open up endless possibilities for opportunites!

Kristen, many thanks for sharing your story and unique Canfolk dolls. Please check out the above links to see more of Kristen's creations.
Patty

24 comments:

  1. These are some of the cutest, creative dolls I have ever seen. Glad to see you are one of the new Chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen: You are amazing. Your creativity and execution are both extraordinary. I wish you lots and lots of future success. I went to your Facebook Page and "liked" you. Welcome to the Chicks. You couldn't find finer "crafting enthusiasts" anywhere. You go girl! Linda, the Mousemaker from Warmth on Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still say The Bumble Bee is my most Favorite Canfolk Doll...But I love all of them! You do wonderful work Kristen. Keep up the good job and NEVER give up. You are an ispiration to artisans as well as non-artisans. ;) Hugs~Tawny Dalton Bell from The Primitive Nook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for welcoming me to the chick family and for the lovely comments! I really appreciate them! :)
    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there, You've done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I'm confident they'll be benefited from this site.

    Also visit my homepage: family Shoots

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello everyone, it's my first pay a visit at this website, and post is in fact fruitful for me, keep up posting such posts.

    Check out my web page - fancy dress costumes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howdy! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group?
    There's a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Many thanks

    Also visit my site ... vehicle tracking

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you ever considered writing an e-book or guest authoring
    on other blogs? I have a blog centered on the same subjects you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information.
    I know my viewers would value your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an email.


    my blog post: training Facility

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your blogs really
    nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back down the road. Cheers

    My web-site ... motor tyres

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woah! I'm really loving the template/theme of this blog. It's simple, yet effective.
    A lot of times it's difficult to get that "perfect balance" between user friendliness and visual appeal. I must say that you've done a very good job with this.
    Also, the blog loads extremely fast for me on Opera. Exceptional Blog!


    My web page; printers

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you are going for finest contents like I do, just go
    to see this site daily as it provides feature contents, thanks

    Feel free to visit my page :: technical events company

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fine way of explaining, and pleasant piece of writing to obtain facts
    about my presentation focus, which i am going to convey in academy.


    Also visit my blog post - Commercial Electrical Installations And Maintenance

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just desire to say your article is as astounding.
    The clarity for your post is just nice and that i could think you are knowledgeable in this subject.

    Fine along with your permission let me to take
    hold of your RSS feed to stay updated with drawing close post.
    Thanks one million and please carry on the enjoyable work.



    Also visit my web site - visit the website

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahaa, its pleasant dialogue concerning this piece of writing here at this weblog, I have read all
    that, so now me also commenting at this place.

    Feel free to surf to my homepage; more details

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I've joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your excellent post. Also, I have shared your website in my social networks!

    Feel free to surf to my page website information

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing! Its genuinely awesome article, I have
    got much clear idea on the topic of from this article.

    Here is my web blog - sawasdeethaispa.co.za

    ReplyDelete
  17. No matter if some one searches for his required thing, thus he/she wishes to
    be available that in detail, so that thing is maintained over here.



    Feel free to surf to my blog: More information

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form?

    I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having problems finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

    Stop by my blog post: Click here

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
    The words in your article seem to be running off the screen in Safari.
    I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I thought I'd post to let you know.
    The design look great though! Hope you get the issue fixed soon.
    Thanks

    Also visit my web site :: more info

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it's truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I'll
    be grateful if you continue this in future. Many people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

    Here is my web-site about

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's really a great and helpful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this useful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

    Also visit my web-site ... contact

    ReplyDelete
  22. Greetings! This is my 1st comment here so I just
    wanted to give a quick shout out and say I genuinely enjoy reading your blog posts.
    Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same subjects?

    Thanks a lot!

    Feel free to surf to my page ... internet marketing company

    ReplyDelete
  23. What's Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively helpful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to contribute & aid different users like its aided me. Great job.

    Feel free to visit my blog post best acne treatment reviews

    ReplyDelete
  24. For latest news you have to pay a quick visit world-wide-web and on web I found this website
    as a finest web site for most up-to-date
    updates.

    Also visit my weblog; love quotes for boys

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...<\center>

Search This Blog