November 5, 2010

"PILLOW PALS"

What does 2 old couch pillows, left over fabric scraps, 4:00 in the morning and a crazy artistic Grandma get you . . . . . .
                                           
                 "Bed Buddies"
I have not been able to sleep the past couple of days  At four A.M. each day I have been wide awake and ready to begin my day.  I think it's because I am so excited, any day now we will be heading south to Florida for the winter.  There, I have a wonderful studio and 2 awesome grandchildren.  Each fall I bring a special surprise back with me.  This year I thought I would purchase 2 large stuffed animals but haven't got around to it yet  Then the idea struck me. . .  I was enjoying a morning cup of coffee when, well, you know how it goes. . . So off to the workshop I went. 

To do this there is not really a technique, I just start cutting and sewing.  I tried to make Emiley's look like a strawberry.  I got the idea because of the strawberry print fabric.  I don't know if I've achieved it but it's cute anyways.  Adam's "Bed Buddy" was going to be a giant pumpkin ( I have pumpkins on the brain!).  But," lo and behold" it turned into an owl!  While sewing them I included pockets wherever I could.  I call them "secret pockets"  they can put anything in them that they would like to take to bed.  Really, I just thought of all the things they can store in them to bring to Grandmas when they "sleep over"!

The pillow itself is 18 inches by 18 inches and they are very soft and fluffy.  Emiley called me this morning on her way to school and I told her I had a surprise for her.  She wants me to wrap them up with a big bow.  I think it will be fun to see them open it.  I will take pictures and post them on Facebook when that happens!!!
-Kate
P.S.  Does anyone want one of these " Bed Buddies to give as a Christmas gift.  If so I am willing to make them.  They are so much fun.  I relate it to making dolls or puppets, they just come to life before your very eyes and take on a personality of their own!
So, If you want one or maybe you have an idea for one please leave me a post right below, where it says "Post Comments".  I really look forward to hearing from you. . .   Thanks!

Search This Blog

Posted by Picasa