April 17, 2011

"FLOWER POWER"

Handmade knit purse by "Vicki's Original"



Purse Problems

With all this talk about purses and personality, I came up with a solution for all of you ladies that only own 1 or 2 handbags. First of all let me tell you I am an “OCD Purse Alcoholic”. I love purses and change my handbag almost daily. To give my purse a personality of it's own I hang charms and accessories on the outside of my purse. One of my favorite "add-on’s" is a felt flower pin.  I make them in many different colors and patterns.  I like to match the color I am wearing. So here it is "Chicks", I will show you how to make a flower of your own.

You will need:


Supplies
 Fabric or felt
scissors and/or pinking shears
needle, thread,
pin back
hot glue gun.
vintage button



Cuts five large circles 2 1/2 inches around
Cut 5 -2 inch circles out of a one color
Contrasting circles -cut 5 circles of a coordinating color just a tad smaller than the 2 inch circle

Center circle -  cut 3- 1 ½ inch circles
Flower back: - 1 – 1 ½ green circle and 2 leaves about 3 inches long

Thread your needle with a 36 inch long thread, double it and tie a knot at the bottom. Pick up one of the 2 ½ inch circles and starting from the back insert needle up and then back down again and up and then down (up-down, up- down). Pick up the next circle and do the same until all 5 circles are done, place in a pinwheel shape and stitch in place. Next, a take 2 inch circles and 1 of your contrasting 2 inch circles and place that over the top and stitch the same as you did in the first previous 5. When all 5 are done, stitch in place.


Next stitch the remaining 3 colors the same as before and stitch in place. Now pick out your favorite vintage button and stitch that on.  Then flip over flower and anchor pieces and tie off.
With your hot glue gun, glue leaves in place on the back of flower. Next take the  2 inch green circle and cut two slits in the middle, the distance between the pin closure and the needle itself.  Slip in pin and glue onto back of flower.  You're done!
I hope you enjoy making flowers.  I have been creating felt flowers since I was just a small child and I love to do it.  You can make them any size you want.  Just adjust the measurements. They also look great sewn onto a headband.  Experiment and have fun!  - Kate

Search This Blog

Posted by Picasa