August 29, 2011

What person, or event inspired you or changed you in a positive way?


Mary Steindorf

With the onset of the 2011-2012 school year, I was thinking about people who have guided and mentored me through out my life.  One of the top most inspirational people in my life was my grandmother, Mary Steindorf.    She was not only my grandmother she was my mother, my business partner and my friend!  I lived with her on and off throughout my school years and she spent many hours teaching me how to sew. We made school bags, we made doll clothes, we made pincushions and I still have one!  I wish I could show you a picture but it's at the Florida studio. ;(  One year we spent hours sewing jumpsuits and then tried to sell them at a craft fair.  They did OK but the pincushions were the hit of the show.  My grandmother had drawers upon drawers of fabric, thread and patterns.  I loved going to Minnesota Fabrics with her and touching every bolt of fabric.  It was the 60's and polyester was just coming into favor.  She made me dozens of polyester pantsuits.  Yep, you got it, matching tops and pants.  I was the envy of every girl in the class. Then after I was married and had a children of my own, my grandmother gave me her prized singer sewing machine and I began sewing outfits for my kids.
Adam is a "Red Dinosaur"

Emiley as "Tinkerbell"

  As the years went by I eventually went back to college and took fashion and costuming design courses that lead me into opening a costume shop in my area.  Still today I enjoy sewing and costuming.  Each year my grandkids request the costume they would like and I try to make exactly what they want.  So far they haven't been dissappointed and they wear them proudly!
My favorite, Adam wanted to be a
monster truck but not just any truck, he
wanted to be the "Grave Diggger", complete
with headlights and tail lights!

Emiley as "Hannah Montana Fairy"

Emiley's skating dress for "Suzy Snowflake"
So, now my question to you is.... What person or event inspired you or changed you in a positive way?
and, do they know that they did?  Please leave a comment below or send me an email describing that person and his or her influences on you.  We would love to share them here on our Blog with our readers.  Thanks   -Kate

Search This Blog

Posted by Picasa