|Jenny Patterson, Owner of Quilted In Clay|
|Recognizable Quilt Blocks|
I specialize in jewelry based on traditional, recognizable quilt blocks. After all of these years, I'm never at a loss for patterns, projects, methods, color combinations or inspiration when working with polymer clay.
Any words of advice you can give our viewers getting started?
- Treat your business as a business. Set business hours, get dressed for work and keep track of all your expenses. Find a price point that works so you get paid a wage and your materials are covered.
- "Listen" to your customers. Someone once told me 'If your customers ask for something once, listen twice, pay attention three times, and do it".
- Get your name out there, write articles, join a guild, start a blog etc.
- Take pictures of your creations, and LEARN how to take good pictures.
- Keep a journal of new ideas, keep your work fresh and keep up with new trends, fads and colors.
- If you are at a show, act professional, don't sit and read, always greet your customers with a smile. Dress appropriately, hey you are an artist and people expect you to look and talk like one.
- Bruce Baker has a set of CD's on the subjects of Booth Construction, Marketing, Sales and Slide Presentations, Customer Service, Visual Merchandising and Trends that affect the Craft/Gift business display. His website is http://www.bbakerinc.com/ I HIGHLY recommend you purchase, listen to, and implement. "It was the best investment I ever made".
Thank you Jenny.